Friday, July 31, 2009

Crafts & Hobbies #65: Coin Collecting

I am not a collector of any kind. It happens I just love old things. Coins are easy, small and exchangeable. It is not a lot of money to tuck away, so every time I run accross a different, unique one, I usually put it away, not thinking of the value of it thenor someday.

After reading this exercise and checked some of dealer web sites. I went home and took out the tin can contained my coin I have "collected" since I started earning. All the state quarters, dollar silver, Kennedy half dollar, nickels and dimes ... the oldest one I found is just a penny dated 1946. Hold it in my hand, think of what’s going on in that year. I can feel the history run in my head. I can see the small coin changed hand, from a woman tried to get some groceries, then a young boy paid for an ice cream to a man played with it by tossing it in the air while waiting for the bus one evening …

Pick another one, 1963, what's a year for the world we were living in .... Things happened here, the United States of America, or in my country, Viet Nam, half the world away but so closed, so linked to each other, so sad and so proud of each other in some way too.

That’s how I enjoyed them and became an casual coin "collector."

No comments: